As Dard Hunter, a craftsman & papermaker, was settling into the Gomez Mill House during the beginning of the 20th century, Marlborough was experiencing an economic boom. An increase in agricultural production and advances in transportation, including the completion of the West Shore Railroad, allowed Marlborough to distribute their crops around the country, and attract new visitors.
Dard Hunter would not be the only craftsman to come to the area during the beginning of the 20th century. Frederic W. Goudy, a world-famous type designer moved to Marlborough in 1923, and continued to work here until he passed away in 1947. Another draw to this area, was Milton’s Elverhoj Art Colony. In addition to hosting many famous artists, the Elverhoj became renowned for its summer theatre during the 1920s.
As the United States joined the fight during the world wars, Marlborough’s farms were left with little help. The Farmerettes (also known as the Women’s Land Army) were present in Marlborough during both wars, and their efforts helped keep the town’s farms operating. These women would arrive during the summer months, to work on the farms, including Wygant and Caywood (Shady Brook) Farms. More information on the Farmerettes can be found here.