Built in the 1790s as a tavern, this building was home to the Exchange Hotel for many years and has a colorful past. Mention of a hotel can first be found in a business directory from the 1860s, and has the property listed as Kniffin’s Hotel. Earliest mention of the property being referred to as the Exchange Hotel can be found in 1878. In 1887, a large extension was added on to the building.
Newspaper articles from the time reveal that the different owners of the Exchange Hotel were frequently in trouble for serving liquor without a license. In 1883, owner Samuel Kniffin was arraigned before the Justice for “selling intoxicants without a license,” and in 1931, owner Edward McGowan was “charged with possession of alleged apple and rye whiskey and four half barrels of beer.” In 1933, the Exchange Hotel was finally granted its liquor license.
A 1902 advertisement in The New York Times describes the hotel as having “large and well-furnished rooms; steam heat, electric bells and all modern improvements.”
In 1973, this building was renovated into apartments and continues to remain apartments today.
“Exchange Hotel.” (1902). New York Times.
“Handsome to Behold.” (1973). The Southern Ulster Pioneer.
“Henry M. Kniffin Dead.” (1898). Newburgh Register.
“Kingston Agents Arrest Three Men.” (1931). Kingston Daily Freeman.
“Licensed to Sell Beer.” (1933). Kingston Daily Freeman.
“Notice.” (1922). The Marlborough Record.