The Presbyterian Church, having been organized on January 1, 1764, is the oldest religious organization in Marlboro.
The town's original Presbyterian Church was constructed on land donated by Lewis DuBois, east of Route 9W near the Presbyterian Cemetery (across the street from the Marlboro Free Library), and was destroyed by a fire in 1869.
Dedicated in 1874, this Presbyterian Church, was designed in the Romanesque style by Poughkeepsie architect J.A. Wood, and once featured a large, impressive steeple. The December 7, 1915 fire that claimed the Methodist Episcopal Church, also claimed the steeple of this building. Embers from the flames landed on the steeple and people as far as Poughkeepsie could see the light cast against the sky from the fire. Firefighters thought this building would also be a total loss, but were able to get the fire under control by late morning. The Presbyterian Church still operates and serves the community today.
Visitors may note the striking resemblance the church bears to the Methodist Church in Highland, NY, designed by the same architect.
Amodeo. E., Pagnotta, J. & Cosgrove, J. (2012). Images of America: Marlborough (p. 35). Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing.
Fire Destroys M.E. Church, Memorial Hall, and Library in Marlborough. (1915). Newburgh Daily News.
Cochrane, C. (1887). The History of the Town of Marlborough, Ulster County, New York: From the First Settlement in 1712, by Capt. Wm. Bond, to 1887 (p. 106-107, 116). Poughkeepsie, NY: W.F. Boshart.
Rhoads, W.B. (2011). Ulster County New York: The Architectural History & Guide (p. 122). Delmar, NY: Black Dome Press Corp.
Sylvester, N.B. (1880). History of Ulster County, New York: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Prominent Men and Pioneers (p. 85). Philadelphia, PA: Everts & Peck.