According to a 1957 article in The Marlborough Record, prior to being a bank, a general store used to stand at this location. In June of 1907, representatives of the Bankers’ Trust Company of Atlanta, Georgia met in town with plans to start a bank in Marlborough. The bank leased the property from James S. Carpenter, and first opened its doors on August 12, 1907. In 1908, the bank bought the property and a new building was erected here.
An addition was made to the bank in 1926 and its interior was “altered and modernized.” It was noted that over a thousand people came out to celebrate the opening reception for the new bank, “in which orchestra music, hundreds of flowers, and punch added to the holiday atmosphere.”
In March of 1965, the bank became known as the Marlboro Branch of the Kingston Trust. In 1980, ground was broken on a new bank building, and in 1982, the Kingston Trust Company merged into and operated as part of the Key Bank of Southeastern New York National Association.
Amodeo. E., Pagnotta, J. & Cosgrove, J. (2012). Images of America: Marlborough (p. 40). Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing.
Argiro, P. (1980). “The Bank Begins “Apple Branch.”” Southern Ulster Pioneer.
“Bank Celebrates Seventieth Anniversary.” (1977). Southern Ulster Pioneer.
“First National Bank’s Golden Anniversary Celebrated in Marlborough this Week.” (1957). The Marlborough Record.
Town of Marlborough Bi-Centennial Committee (1978). Picture Book: As We Were- As We Are: Marlborough-Milton. NY. (p. 69). Saugerties, NY:Hope and Farm Press Bookshop.